Best Vacuum For Stairs 2017 - Comparisons & Buying Guide
Buying the best vacuum for stairs is a little bit tricky. You can't never reach to the best one until you know the important factors those are essential to have inside in a vacuum cleaner. To make your journey easy we have come with this collection of best vacuum cleaner for stairs. If you are looking for an ideal tool for cleaning up your stairs, you have reached exactly in the right place.
Cleaning stairs are very annoying for all of us because these are the places, where traditional vacuums could not reach. These tight corners and angles, underneath of furniture and stairs collect more dust and we are unable to reach them. That's why you should take some extra care while choosing the vacuum for stairs so you will not have to regret later. In this case, if you want something cheaper than you might have to compromise with quality, which you never prefer.
However, luckily, some vacuum cleaners out there in the market, specially designed for cleaning stairs easily and efficiently. Our included stair vacuums in the list are strongly capable of doing every sort of cleaning work.
You can try them. They provide a great performance in the tricky areas by providing a combination of features as like powerful motor, ability to handle multiple surfaces, portable body and plenty of accessories.
What is The Best Vacuum for Stairs?
There are different types of vacuum cleaners available in the market, but among them, the most searched type is stair vacuums. A number of things related to stair vacuums as like the surface whether it is hardwood, tiled or carpeted.
Therefore vacuuming is a constant part of living for many people whereas few people find a very rare time to clean their house. Whatever it is a compact, lightweight, long cord length or cordless vacuum works best for use on stairs.
Thus, a portable vacuum is an essential tool for every house. In general, each device includes a plenty of attachments that designed for getting dirt out of small spaces. This could be a crevice tool, brush tool, long rotating head that helps to get into those narrow areas where other attachments tools can't enter easily.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners for Stairs
To understand things better, you have to know about the type of vacuum cleaner. You can check the available types, let's see what they are.
1. Upright Vacuum Cleaner
In US/UK, the most demandable cleaning device is an Upright vacuum. A rotating brush roll usually comes with these to swipe away the surfaces and collect the dust. The unit made on a single segment stick that supports the handle and recipient to hold the dirt.
According to the structural design, it has two types of cleaners, fan bypass, and direct fan cleaners. The direct fan uprights use less power and have less cleaning power whereas fan bypass vacuum requires two times more power to run. Anyways, these are good for both floor and carpet cleaning.
2. Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Canister vacuums are the most common vacuum cleaners in the country of China, Europe, and Russia. The compartments or the bags hold the dust well from the motor. Here, the main features of these are the possibility to attach different heads. This comes as a single unit usually mounted on two wheels. Few latest models come with special heads for furniture dust, hardwood floors, carpets etc.
3. Handheld Vacuums
Handheld vacuums are more useful for cleaning up clothing, complex furniture piece, between sofa cushions and car. Further, we all have narrow space at our houses where we can’t simply reach with a canister or upright vacuum. Handheld vacuums will help in that case. It will let easily remove stains, spills or pet hairs.
4. Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
This vacuum uses a strong artificial intelligence method to achieve a homogeneous cleaning of the entire floor and safely return to the docking station for battery recharge.
5. Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaners
These are good for cleaning wet stain and liquids. Also suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It gathers all the dirt into a corner and gets it out.
Benefits of Best Vacuum for Stairs
The top most benefit of using a stair vacuum is ease of use. As these types of vacuums are smaller, portable so it's easy to handle them while vacuuming stairs.
With age, it eventually becomes a problem to bend waist for many senior citizens. Lighter vacuums put less strain on back, so you don't have to bend your waist, you can vacuum while standing.
Besides this, smaller vacuums make quicker work of stairs where you don't have to spend much time trying to maneuver them. We mentioned about this earlier that the traditional uprights and the handheld vacuums for stairs usually come with many attachments. It could be a crevice tool, brush tool, floor tool that specially designed to clean stairs.
These are easy to wield and can get into tight corners and angles where traditional vacuums could never reach. Not only this with a crevice tool you can clean tricky right angle as well as the small area between post in the banister where dust quickly collects and hard to clean, this is its real advantage.
Top Best Vacuum for Stairs Reviews 2017
We believe all these above information are important to get a better cleaning tool. Moreover, you can explore some top vacuums that we add below after a long research and real user’s recommendations. All these fit the above specifications perfectly.
1. Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum
Eureka is a very old name in vacuum cleaner industry and maybe we all hear about this name number of times while buying a canister vacuum for our home. The first name we would like to mention here regarding the best vacuum for stairs is Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum. It has two motors, one that powers the revolving brush and one motor for suction. About its great usability, already 8091 customers were talking and still now, they are giving good reviews on this name.
Do you know what makes it number one in the market? Well, that is the Riser Visor feature, makes it equally great for cleaning the stairs and upholstery areas horizontally and vertically. In this addition, the motorized brush and the strong suction will help you cleaning bare floor surface easily.
You should know it measured 70 on a water lift gauge that results above average for suction power. It can clean fine to medium sized debris as well as can struggle with larger pieces of dirt. Don't worry if you find it difficult to fit in between the bristles of the brush roll, in this case, a crevice tool and a hose will help you.
The only thing you might not like about the best vacuum for stairs is it's not as much as flexible using for cleaning floors. If you want, you will have to bend down to reach the floors that you probably not prefer.
Features at a Glance
- The handheld vacuum comes with a brush roll that helps to pick up pet hair well.
- It has the 20-foot cord for extended cleaning, easily wraps for storage.
- Includes Onboard Crevice tool and Riser Visor, cleans flat areas, stair steps, and upholstery.
- It runs with 5.5 amps of power and has on/off brush roll switch.
- Most of the users who actually use this item gave five ratings. They are quite satisfied with the performance.
- Ideal for upholstery and stairs.
- Extremely lightweight only 4.8 pounds.
- Relatively quiet than others.
- Allows vertical and horizontal clean up.
- Affordable in price.
- Doesn't include automatic rewind mechanism.
- Might not be available for International shipping on Amazon.
When so many models are available in the market, getting this particular model at this price is difficult. Try once, it can achieve your goal and can become one of your reliable cleaning partners.
2. Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac (HV292)
People who are using vacuum cleaner since a very long time probably they know about Shark vacuums. This particular model from Shark has come in the market with many advanced features. Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac (HV292) is an ergonomic machine and it will help you to save a lot of calories that you had to waste on your hard floor cleaning before. First of all, it features a TruePet motorized brush that helps to clean the deep inside of upholstery and furniture.
Sometimes it found people complain about their vacuum machine stirs, particle and dust around their carpet. It makes messy their carpet and home rather than just deposit it into the bag. Especially allergen people suffer most in this case. It is also dangerous for the entire household environment in terms of breathing. Thinking about all this the best vacuum for stairs come with an Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology. With its help, you can make sure all the nasty particles and dust trapped inside the vacuum and never around your home.
The next thing you will like about the best vacuums for stairs is its convenience of reusable easy to clean filter. Many users claimed this feature worth its weight in gold. This is definitely a supportive hand for you when you need one you are on empty. More of this it has an easy to wash filter that makes the maintenance a piece of cake.
Features at a Glance
- The cleaner never loses suction, allows powerful cleaning from start to finish.
- It comes with a TruePet Motorized Brush for handheld deep cleaning.
- Weighs less than 4 pounds, it is a portable and versatile vacuum.
- It has a 15-foot long power cord; you will never have to recharge between work.
- Needs no bag and can empty with just a touch of a button.
- Quality suction power.
- Long power cord.
- Easier to navigate, steer and turn.
- Ultralight portable.
- Does powerful cleaning.
- No cord storage.
- As well as no storage for tools.
It is a portable vacuum cleaner, carrying it from one room to another means putting no effort. Hereafter as it has a 15-foot long power cord, you can easily clean stairs and other hard to reach places with ease. Another nice feature, micro vacuum attachments will help you clean fine grooves in the furniture and cracks in the door and floors, especially those spots that you know just impossible to clean.
3. Bissell Multi Cordless Handheld Car Vacuum, 1985
There is a lot to like about the best vacuum for stairs, Bissell Multi Cordless 1985. It has an intuitive design and a nice contrast of colors. Its collection of rich features, fast performance, and reasonable price rate may be one the reason of getting popularity day by day. It's a very useful tool to clean mess and very narrow and tight spaces.
Talking about this amazing vacuum lets know it engineered with a powerful 22V lithium battery. When the battery is in fully charged, it can provide up to 14 to 15 minutes fade free power. Charging the device doesn't take a lot of time, it will fully recharge within four hours in normal charging or within one hour in boost charging once you plug it in. It has a removable battery pack; whenever you want, you can charge it while connecting the unit.
Besides, the best vacuum for stairs has a transparent dirt bin so that you can easily remove and empty the dirt bowl of the device. Its overall dirt capacity is 0.4 liters. Nonetheless, it is a small cordless unit and its performance is very much better than other cleaning tools. The device has two LED lights to help you cleaning in low light conditions. It will let you identify even a small spot of the dirt. You must remember it is not for wet dry, so you can't expect using it for removing wet dirt. Rather you can use it for cleaning all kinds of dry dirt.
Features at a Glance
- It uses a high-performance cordless technology, for this, it is much portable.
- Comes with a powerful 22V battery that can generate 100 watts of high flow power each time.
- Has an ergonomic design and convenience soft grips for total cleaning control and comfort.
- Make cleaning easy for hard to reach spaces too.
- Offer many specialized tools like dusting brush, extension wand, and onboard crevice tool.
- Removable battery offers more flexible charging.
- Versatile cleaning tool.
- Provide powerful, fade-free suction.
- Ideal for getting rid of pet hair.
- Gently sweeps dust and debris.
- Suction power could be better.
- Requires charging the battery after few hours.
Bissell Multi Cordless 1985 doesn't weigh too much, it's only 3.9 pounds which are under 1.8 kg. You can easily carry it anywhere at your house or car. Not only has this it added a crevice tool, extension wand tool, motorized brush tool and other essential attachments for easy use.
4. Miele Complete C2 Limited Edition - Corded
Miele Complete C2 Limited Edition comes with a refreshing and soothing yellow color that brightens your home with optimism. The best vacuum for stairs engineered with some versatile feature, for this, people acknowledges it as the top rated vacuum cleaner. Firstly, it has a lightweight design, multiple suction controls and a tightly sealed bag, which makes this vacuum ideal for cleaning stairs.
The second remarkable thing about this Miele Complete C2 Limited Edition features a Turbo Comfort turbo brush with an air driven rotating roller brush. It works for loosening the dirt in the floor. Sometimes it happens with many people during loosening the tough dirt the machine damages the gentleness of the floor. But, no, you don't have to worry here because it has nonmarking rubber wheels and a soft brush.
Do you know what's it good for? The vacuum is ideal for low pile carpeting, rugs, and smooth flooring. It comes with a rotary dial that will allow you to go from smooth floors to carpeted surfaces quickly. As well as it will help, you obtain an operating radius of 36 feet.
The best vacuum for stairs equipped with a six stage suction control, which is great to suck a huge amount of debris at a time. If you want, you can use it for more delicate surfaces like rugs, drapes or upholstery areas. It provides 180° rotation for the agile yet gentle care of smooth surfaces.
Features at a Glance
- Come with Turbo Comfort turbo brush with an air driven rotating roller brush to loosen dirt from the floor.
- It designed with a six stage suction control via Rotary Dial, ensures the correct level of power.
- This vacuum provides Rug and floor combination floor brush, for low pile carpeting, rugs, and smooth flooring.
- It made with the Airclean sealed system that captures and retains over 99.9% of all lung-damaging particles.
- It comes with three convenient onboard accessories including a dusting brush, crevice nozzle, and an upholstery tool.
- Locks in place to resist moving.
- Versatile whole house cleaning.
- Quick and convenient use.
- This vacuum is very quiet.
- Great for bare floors and low pile carpet.
- Bags are not cheap.
- A knob for adjusting the suction is missing.
For the price, Miele Complete C2 Limited Edition is a great choice to go for. Thinking about user’s convenience the best vacuum for stairs come with three onboard accessories including a crevice nozzle, upholstery tool, and a dusting brush. Moreover, it features a unique AirClean Filtration System for capture and retains over 99.9% of all lung-damaging particles.
5. Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright (HV301)
You should know a lightweight vacuum cleaner is always in high demand. Here we are presenting Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright (HV301), another great product to have at your home. If you are looking for a lightweight vacuum that feels more like a handheld yet performs like an upright then you should try this. The best vacuum for stairs is easy to use. It has an ergonomic handle, which makes it fit your hand better.
It comes with powerful suction abilities. So it will prove better clean leaving no stains and dart marks behind. Comparing with others, its input power of 500 watts is a good energy saving deal. Such ways it looks attractive to environmental conscience individuals. Along with the powerful motor, it enables to pick larger debris,
Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright is efficient for both cleaning your house and your car too. As because it is small in size so for any long road trips you can comfortably fit it in your car without any mess. If you want, you can also use it for clean your curtains, couches, and chairs without any hassle. On top of that, the vacuum is fingertip controls so that you can easily switch from hard floor to carpet.
Features at a Glance
- The vacuum made in the USA and we all know the great longevity of USA made products.
- It has dual storage options. You can fix the dust cup to the bottom of the wand or secure it to the wall mount.
- Swivel steering, it has excellent control for maneuvering around furniture.
- You can convert it into a hand vacuum for versatile floor to ceiling cleaning.
- It includes one washable microfiber pad, has dust away hard floor attachment.
- Allows versatile floor to Ceil cleaning.
- Never lose suction or power.
- Very lightweight, only 7.6 pounds.
- Perfect for bare floors and deep cleans carpet.
- Great maneuverability.
- Suction is good but could be better.
- Need to empty the canister frequently.
Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright (HV301) is one of the versatile cleaner in the market. Besides, it is not only gentle enough to use on upholstery but also powerful enough for use on the carpet. If you are about to buy a new canister vacuum cleaner for this purpose, you can try this one.
6. Dyson V6 Absolute Cord-free Vacuum
May be you know vacuums from Dyson are always innovative and unique. This could be a reason because Dyson vacuums use “Root Cyclone Technology”. This is a name of powerful suctioning technology, ensures all the dust, pollen, dander, hair get into the device instead of being airborne. Further, the best vacuum for stairs have a rotating ball for increasing suction and easy turning.
Carrying all these features Dyson has become all time favorite to pet owners. Hereafter its soft roller cleaning head is a great addition that provides excellent pick up, on bare floor without scratching. It made with soft nylon so that it can provide enough agitation from causing any damage.
Dyson V6 is one of the lightweight, cordless, best vacuum cleaner for stairs in the market. When most of the cordless vacuums live by a limitation of short battery life, this model comes with a long battery life. Its mini motorized tool will help you pick up dirt and pet hair on upholstery. Above all, among the V6 series, this particular model known as a “specialist vacuum” for its list of amazing features and cleaning performance. If you are a pet lover, you should definitely keep this at your home.
Features at a Glance
- It has two cleaner heads for complete hard floor and carpet cleaning.
- It can allow up to 20 minutes of continuous suction, trigger releases instantly.
- The Direct drive cleaner head drives bristles deeper into the carpet to remove even more dirt.
- The soft roller cleaner head removes large debris and fine dust simultaneously.
- It has sealed system with HEPA filtration and extra tool, specially invented for hard floors.
- Very lightweight, only 5.1 pounds, easily transportable.
- Can clean floors, ceilings and everything in between.
- Provide great agitation on the carpet.
- Cord free, so hassle free.
- Ideal for hard floor cleaning.
- Who are extremely budget oriented, this is not for them.
- Built in battery is a concern long term.
Dyson V6 Absolute Cord-free Vacuum is a top range model in the category. The price tag will match with your budget if you are ready to spend any amount to get a good quality cleaner. By the way, you will also get multiple types of additional tools with the device.
7. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet (NV752)
If you are looking for the best pet hair vacuums, you can check this addition of Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away NV752. It is another best vacuum for stairs from Shark series. Shark Rotator NV752 is now offering a proper combination of lightweight upright along with a detachable lightweight canister. Within a very short time, it has earned a lot of customer's appreciations.
Earlier Shark promised to combine three vacuums in one, this model NV752 has made the promise true. It can perform as a powerful upright, convenient canister and a lift away pod at the same time.
So special thanks to its ability to transform from upright vacuum to a “Lift away pod with powered brush roll" or a "canister". It can perform both as a versatile and as effective machine that can really do extreme under furniture reach, deep clean and difficult areas. You can use it in traditional mode for standard cleaning or if you want to use it for floor/ceiling cleaning you have to separate the canister from the head.
Anyways, do you know what the best feature of this is? Well, it is the lift away feature. A wand detaches and a canister of the body part made it a nice combination for use. In this way, the best vacuum for stairs can transform into a more portable canister style device for your convenience.
Features at a Glance
- Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away designed with the latest Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology.
- You can use it in three different modes, Canister Caddy mode, Upright mode and Powered Lift away mode.
- Come with a TruePet Motorized Brush and Pet Upholstery tool to clean ultimate pet hair from all surfaces.
- It features HEPA filtration system, can trap 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
- Has one washable microfiber pad, picks up large debris and fine dust from bare floors.
- This is 3 in 1 vacuum cleaner.
- Give long rotating head for cleaning upholstery.
- Ideal for deep down dirt and pet hair.
- Result in 25% more power deeper into carpets.
- Allow you a long reach to clean stairs, walls, ceiling etc.
- Somewhat messy to clean up.
- As made of good materials, the price is a little bit high.
The inclusion of washable HEPA filters and anti allergen seal technology made it worth the price. As well as the ball joint and LED, light adds more flexibility of cleaning underneath furniture.
8. Hoover Platinum Collection Bagged Corded Upright Vacuum
By seeing the image you may think this is only one vacuum but it's not. Hoover Platinum Collection Bagged Corded Upright Vacuum, the best vacuum for stairs is literally a package of two products. Until now, you might have to face many difficulties to choose one type over others either an upright or a canister. To solve this problem Hoover Platinum Corded Upright Vacuum has come in the market. With this in mind, it comes with a full sized upright capable of deep cleaning carpets and a canister vacuum to clean everything else.
The vacuum designed with a WindTunnel Technology. This is what it made for; it makes deep cleaning carpets easy with the combination of strong suction from 5 amp motor and motorized brush. If you check the reviews, you can confirm it.
The next amazing fact about this is it doesn't weigh a ton. It is only 12 pounds whereas moving this around should not be a problem. Unlike others, it has no dirt puff. It means it comes with a self-sealing bag that prevents dirt puffs from escaping back into your clean room.
However, the best vacuum for stairs feature a true sealed bagged system. As a result, it can trap almost 100% of allergens inside which is definitely very good news for people who suffer from respiratory ailments like asthma.
Features at a Glance
- Features WindTunnel Technology extracts dirt from the carpet in less time so that you can move on to more important tasks.
- The canister comes with a 5-foot flexible hose, a crevice, floor and brush tool to clean hard to reach and delicate areas.
- The upright uses a 5-amp motor, also weighs less than 12 pounds for easy transport.
- It utilizes a sealed bagged system with HEPA filtration that keeps 99.97%of dirt inside the bag.
- Includes LED headlights, power button located conveniently in the handle exactly where it needed.
- Perfect for carpet cleaning.
- Recommended for those who suffer from asthma.
- Allergens and dust mites stay inside the bag.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Offer 5 years warranty.
- A little bit noisy.
- No cord rewind.
Hoover Platinum Collection Upright Vacuum comes with a long 35-foot power cord, for that it will be more useful for large homes. After all, people who have carpet flooring, the WindTunnel system would perform best for them.
Factors to Choose the Best Vacuum for Stairs
You probably agree with me that stairs and cars are one of the trickiest spaces to vacuum. The reason behind this is there are lots of nooks and crannies in vents and between the car seats. For this reason, it is difficult to reach in those places.
In this case, if you only use the upright machine and want to clean these places, it is nearly impossible. With this intention, you have to choose the best vacuum for stairs. People like these most because they are literally small still powerful, nimble and versatile enough to clean all the hard to reach spaces dirt and debris.
So let's know about some factors that are most important for buying the best stair vacuums. We hope this will help you a lot to get your desired one.
Don't forget you have to choose a lightweight vacuum. Otherwise, it will be very difficult for you to move around a heavy cleaning device. Stairs and these type of places typically been very congested and there you can't reach with a heavy machine.
When you go shopping, you will find different suction power for vacuum. In this regard, a more powerful cleaner can perform better than a usual one. For example, if you own more than one pet at home you will require a more powerful suction powered vacuum to clean your stairs.
Try to avoid upright vacuums as they have shorter attachment hoses of 10-12 feet. In reality, this length is not enough for cleaning the average flight of stairs. Upright vacuums used to be bulkier, heavier and much less maneuverable so it will be wiser to avoid them.
Well, if you intend to use your vacuum for outside rather than just interior then a lightweight, cordless vacuum is necessary for you.
Another great thing you need to consider while buying the best vacuum for stairs is the battery life. Especially in handheld usage, it plays a significant role. Among us, anyone would feel irritated if the power of battery goes away in the middle of the cleaning. Concerning this stair vacuum cleaner should be battery powered. Rather you have to look for a machine that has a longer battery life.
On top of that, try to look for an indicator with the machine. This indicator will let you know how much power it has inside for the moment. It is also good to go for a vacuum that can hold the charge for a long duration of time.
Many vacuums come with LED lights that illuminate the underneath of furniture so it will be easier for you to clean the pet hair on both bare floor and carpet.
It is a common relative thing with how to choose the best vacuum for stairs. The model you are purchasing should be simple but ergonomic. It should have a compact design so that you can easily carry it from one place to another. It's good to have a long range radius head.
A lengthy hose will give you the ability to vacuum the stairs without lugging around the vacuum at any corner. So a lengthy hose is always a better option.
Also, try to get a warranty. It will ensure that the vacuum serves you for an increased period.
Each of the vacuums cleaners has something great to offer in terms of cleaning stairs. As buying, a vacuum cleaner is a matter of investment so you should be careful about going for a specific one. Its always better to go for the best vacuum cleaner for stairs that can suck up all the dust and dirt of the floor, carpets, and seats of your car. You can also choose something that offers a good warranty and additional accessories.
Whatever you choose, make sure you are buying a lightweight, portable and efficient vacuum. If you already have done a research and still in a dilemma then you can check our top list of the best vacuum for stairs reviews. They are fast in performance and had a great value for money.